As time flies, the goals for an universal storage control plane keep evolving.
- libstoragemanagement is a SMI-S based framework. It supports C and Python binding.
- OpenStack Cinder manages block storage on heterogeneous backends. It is mostly used for Virtual environment (Nova), although undercloud could also use some Cinder volumes.
- OpenStack Fuxi is a young project with an ambitious goal of storage management for Containers, VMs, and bare metal machines.
- Dell/EMC projects that are yet widely inter-operable.
- Virtualized backend by presenting a virtualized block storage based on a well formatted image encoding or API. The control plane and data plane are blurred because they are specified by the image format or the API.
- Container engines and orchestrators
- Kubernetes and Docker Volumes support Cloud, virtualized, and NAS: AWS, GCE, OpenStack, Azure, vSphere, Ceph, Gluster, iSCSI, NFS, Fibre Channel, Quobyte, Flocker, etc.
- Storage features such as provisioning, attach/detach, snapshot, quota, resize, protection are either implemented or in road map.